Service Learning Projects
New Project: Plogging Through California
Plogging Through California is an exciting new opportunity created for California 4-H Teen Leaders by California 4-H State Ambassadors in partnership with Chile, Uruguay, Panama, and Argentina!
Plan a plogging event in your county. The planning committee that has the highest engagement will have the opportunity to participate in a Global Virtual Summit in June 2022.
What is Plogging?
Go out jogging, hiking, or walking and pick up trash while you do it. See this NBC News story video to learn more.
What is your Role?
- Create a committee of 3-7 youth members
- Organize a county Plogging event sometime between April 24-30, 2022
- Advertise and promote your event
- Facilitate your Plogging event!
Use our 2022 Plogging Event Planning Guide (PDF) for tips for planning your event, timelines, and more.
Let us know when and where your event is happening in California!
Service Learning in 4-H
- Set objectives for skills to be learned or issues to consider. Plan the project so that learning takes place at the same time work gets done.
- Perform the service.
- Analyze the experience and draw lessons through discussion with others and reflection on the work.
Key Components of 4-H Service Learning
- Integrates Learning
Learning is integrated into relevant content (often 4-H project-based). The service informs content and the content informs service.
- Meets Genuine Needs
Youth identify and learn about a recognized need in their community.
- Promotes Youth Voice and Choice
Youth demonstrate decision making in a safe environment that allows them to make mistakes and still succeed.
- Creates Partnerships
Youth participate in the development of community partnerships and share responsibility with community members.
- Benefits Everyone
Mutual teaching and learning, and shared responsibility benefit all participants in the service learning experience.
- Builds Civic Responsibility
Young people understand they have a role in improving society, and are empowered by their ability to improve the quality of life in the community.
Use our Service Learning resources to assist you in implementing a Service Learning project:
The Key components of 4-H Service Learning (PDF)