4-H Outcomes & Impacts
The latest impacts of the California 4-H Youth Development Program is in our Annual Report.
Research shows that the 4-H Youth Development Program plays a special and vital role in the lives of America’s young people. Youth have the capacity to thrive when presented with resources for healthy development found in families, schools, and communities - regardless of their background, socioeconomic status, race, and gender. 4-H programs launch young people into healthy and productive lives.
According to Waves of the Future - The First Five Years of the 4-H Study of Positive Youth Development (2009) , when compared to other youth, 4-H'ers excel and are:
- 25% more likely to contribute to their families, themselves, and their communities.
- more likely to see themselves going to college.
- 41% less likely to engage in risk/problem behavior.
Report of the Findings from the First Four Years of the 4-H Study of Positive Youth Development (2008)
, 4-H members show higher measures of competence, caring, connections, confidence, character and contributing than for others in the sample. Connections, reflecting relationships with family, peers, and other adults, were significantly higher for 4-H youth than for non-4-H members.
- both youth and adults feel very positive about their experiences in 4-H.
- youth in 4-H have a strong sense of belonging.
- adults and youth form strong relationships in 4-H programs.
Interested in learning more about the outcomes we assess in our 4-H youth? Click here!