Date: May 13, 2020
Time: All Day
Contact: Jenna Colburn, email@example.com, 530.750.1336
Sponsor: California 4-H Youth Development Program
Location: Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown-Arena
June 19 - 23, 2020
in California's capital, Sacramento
Experience state government in action! You will participate in the legislative, political, and judicial processes. California Focus combines hands-on participation in workshops, debates, simulations, tours, and fun activities.
Who should attend
Youth ages 14 - 19. Youth must be at least 14 years old by the time of California Focus. If you are not a current 4-H member, please contact Jenna Colburn.
Adults can apply to chaperone. Deadline for applications is April 20, 2020.
What you will learn and do
- Register to vote, conduct a primary election, and develop a campaign for your party candidates.
- Enact legislation for the "governor" to sign into law.
- Present a poster of your plan of action/service learning project for your community.
- Meet with California State Legislators (Assembly Members and Senators)
- Tour the State Capitol, Governor's office and 3rd District Court of Appeals.
- Participate in fun activities and tours.
- Make new friends!
Registration is required by May 13, 2020.
Register by May 13, 2020
$350 deposit due May 1st. Due to concerns regarding events, the deposit is not required at registration. The cancellation policy is also suspended.
Balance due June 12th.
Includes registration, lodging, polo shirt, and meals during the conference.*
*Friday night dinner and lunch on Monday, June 22 is on your own.
1. Review and fill out the Pre-Conference Handbook. The handbook will help you familiarize yourself with your county and state legislators. Each morning delegates can give a presentation about their county.
2. Review the Service Learning Planning Guide before the conference. During the conference, you will learn skills that will help you create and implement a Plan of Action in your local community. You will be sharing a poster outlining your Plan of Action on the last day of the conference. Your proposed Service Learning Projects must be submitted for approval before you can start implementation.
3. All delegates must participate in the following Zoom conferences on a computer to view the information shared. Please save these dates!
Orientation May 20, 7-8 pm
Learn what you can expect at the conference and how to prepare for the conference using the Pre-Conference Handbook. Meet your chaperones and each other online before the conference!
Legislative Appointments: June 8, 7pm
Presented by Dr. Anne Megaro, Government and Community Relations Director, UC ANR
Please see the California Focus event site for more information about this unique event!