State Record Book Competition
20-2021 State Record Book Competition: November 2021.
All members planning to submit their book to State Competition must complete the Intent to Submit Form by October 15, 2021, 11:59 pm. Date extended due to website outage.
Once your book is ready to submit, please complete the State Record Book Competition Cover Sheet form by October 31, 2021, 11:59 pm. You will provide the url link(s) to your Record Book on this form, at which point we will submit it to State Competition.
The State Record Book competition is focused on recognition for senior 4-H members who have demonstrated a well-rounded 4-H experience. Books are evaluated against standard criteria. Those books recording the most outstanding 4-H work, goal management skills, and leadership and civic development are selected as state medalists and/or state winners.
The Purpose of the State 4-H Record Book Competition:
- Provides an incentive to members to keep accurate records in their 4-H Record Book.
- Members receive feedback and encouragement on their 4-H skill development, leadership and citizenship development, and record-keeping skills.
- Members are recognized for outstanding 4-H work.
Eligibility for State Competition
If the criteria for eligibility are not met, a member's book will be disqualified from the competition.
- Age Eligibility: Senior 4-H members (at least 14 years of age and no older than 19 years old by December 31 of the program year for which the book is being entered) are eligible to enter state competition.
- Use of Correct Forms: Members who are planning to submit their Record Book to state competition must download and use the most current forms, found on this website. One way to be sure to do this is to always download the latest version of the Record Book Manual and forms from the state website.
Intent to Submit: Members who are planning to submit their Record Book to state competition must complete this form by October 15, 2021, 11:59 pm to receive full points for this item. Intent to Submit forms received after this date result in the loss of three points on Record Book scoring. Due date extended due to website outage.
- State 4-H Cover Page - To enter State Record Book Competition, members must complete the online state competition cover page form. This form asks basic contact information and verifications. It asks you to provide the url link(s) to your Record Book. Only submit this form when your book is competition-ready! This is the final step to submit your Record Book to State Competition. Due October 31, 2021, 11:59 pm. Books submitted after this date will not be evaluated.
- By October 15, 2021: Member completes Intent to Submit Form.
- By October 31, 2021: Member completes online Cover Page. The Cover Page will ask the member to provide a link to the record book.
- By October 31, 2021: Evaluator’s application deadline
- By November 19, 2021: UCCE personnel completes online County Check Sheet for each member.
- November - December 2021: State 4-H Record Book Competition
- Late January: Results released; members notified
County 4-H Office Responsibilities
- Set club and county evaluation deadlines (evaluations and competitions are optional; at a minimum, clubs should evaluate books for Star Rank achievements) and
- Communicate deadlines to volunteers and members.
- Communicate with volunteers and membership regarding changes for State Competition:
- Members store or upload their Record Book on a shareable site. If the member is using either the Google Docs or Google Sheets versions of the Record Book, they will simply share the link to their Google records. Alternately, members can create a pdf of their book and upload it to any file share location (Google, Box, Dropbox, etc).
- The online Cover Page will ask the member to share the link to their record book.
- Books will no longer need to be turned in to the county office for scanning.
- See the State Competition Timeline, below.
- County Record Book Competition is optional.
- All senior members are eligible to compete at the State level, even if they have not completed club or county evaluations.
- County personnel will complete the County Check Sheet online AFTER youth have submitted their Cover Page. If there are books submitted from your county, the State Office will send instructions and links to the County Check Sheet and the Record Books.
- State I & R will provide training for these changes in late summer/early fall.
These are the 2020-2021 Forms and Manual, which are the materials that will be evaluated in winter 2021. Be sure to always use the MOST RECENT forms when submitting your book to State Evaluation.
Options: 1) Google Sheets 2) Google Docs 3) Download to computer, digital entries or 4) Download and print, hand-written entries
Google Drive documents are the preferred format if you plan to enter State Record Book Competition.
Copy to your own personal Google Drive. NOTE: Most school districts block access from outside of your school district. Please be aware that if you are trying to use the google account assigned from your school, you are likely to get a denied access/request permission request. It is also likely that you will not be granted incoming access by your school account administrator. Please open a free, personal Google account to access the Google Record Book Forms feature.
- All 4-H members entering a record book at the state competition will receive constructive feedback and their total averaged score.
- State participation and merit recognition members receive a certificate.
- State winners and medalists receive a certificate and hat pin.
- Disqualifications do occur, and are typically a consequence of using the wrong years' forms, missing sections, and ineligible age. Books that are DQ will not be scored, however, comments for improvement may be provided.
State Record Book Competition Evaluators
- Access and comfort with reading materials on a computer or other electronic device.
- Work at a distance as a member of an evaluation team. Communicate effectively with two other volunteers assigned to each team.
- Evaluate approximately 20 4-H Record Books late November through December.
- As a member of a team, collaborated to provide written feedback on 4-H Record Books by the deadline.
- Parents/guardians and relatives of current applicants, and applicants themselves are not eligible to evaluate.
- Enrolled and in good standing as a 4-H Adult Volunteer or a senior 4-H member who is at least 16 years old, in the 4-H Program. (Member may not have a book in the current competition).
- Able to communicate by phone, email and other electronic means.
- Ability to compromise with fellow evaluators.
- Openness and flexibility in evaluation procedures.
Selection of Evaluators
- Evaluators for the state competition are by invitation of the Coordinator of the event.
- Teams ideally will represent adults and youth from all four areas in the state.
- Evaluators must be enrolled and in good standing as 4-H Adult Volunteer or senior member.
Applications for State Competition Evaluators can be found here.
Examples of Completed Record Books
The posted Record Books are a few of the 2015 4-H State Record Book Competition Winners. Each book was judged against the same standards and each has different strengths that merited a Winner Award. Winner status does not mean perfect--it means that the member presented a book that demonstrated enough strength, when tested against the standard, to reach a predetermined benchmark score.