Record Book Training and Resources
Online Record Book
The 4-H Record Book has undergone transformations over the years to ensure that it meets the needs of our 4-H members. The newest transformation is the 4-H Online Record Book (ORB), which is the Record Book of choice for youth members. The ORB re-engages young people in the Record Book process through a new, fun, interactive format that offers social networking opportunities for members and volunteers within clubs.
What this means for 4-H Volunteer Leaders - The 4-H Online Record Book:
- provides an accessible platform for data collection which is fun, engaging and standardized.
- provides opportunities for volunteers to mentor youth on a daily basis in a protected social networking site.
- has built-in reporting systems that will improve staff and volunteer efficiencies.
- has intentional measures of success that will demonstrate the impact that 4-H youth and adults make locally and statewide.
What this means for 4-H Youth Members - The 4-H Online Record Book:
- has extended opportunities to stay connected to other club members and leaders online.
- is a fun and interactive way to log 4-H activities and events and to stay connected to the 4-H program.
- is a more efficient way to keep Record Book information. No more worries about lost pages or misplaced work.
- provides effective 21st century skills. Citizens and workers must be able to exhibit a range of functional and critical thinking skills related to information, media and technology.
- assists in Star Rankings calculation to minimize any errors and maximize points.
Please report any Online Record Book bugs you encounter by clicking here: ORB BUG REPORT
California 4-H Quick Start Record Book Course
To be eligible for 2012 State Competition, members must complete the California 4-H Quick Start Record Book Course by October 15, 2013.
Once you open the Prezi site, just click on the Play icon (arrow) and the course will start. At the end of the course, follow the link to complete the quiz.
Record Book Support Group
The California 4-H Record Book Support Group provides a place for 4-H volunteers, staff, and members to discuss the 4-H record book, ask questions, and receive feedback from others around the state, the State 4-H Office, and the Incentives and Recognition Advisory Committee. View the CA 4-H Record Book Support Group Archives.
Latest Edition (Word): 2015 Record Book Manual
(Contains all forms and instructions for regular 4-H members. This version allows you to complete the form directly into the document and expand the rows as needed.)
Latest Edition (PDF): 2015 Record Book Manual
(contains all forms and instructions for regular 4-H members. This version allows you to complete the forms directly into the document with the typewriter tool. It does not allow you to expand the rows for more entries.)
Word: Primary Member - Personal Development Report Form (Word)
PDF: Primary Member - Personal Development Report Form (PDF)
(Note: Many counties have revised this form. Please check with your county for correct forms.)
Examples of Completed Record Books
The posted Record Books are a few of the 2014 4-H State Record Book Competition Winners. Each book was judged against the same standards and each has different strengths that merited a Winner Award. Winner status does not mean perfect--it means that the member presented a book that demonstrated enough strength, when tested against the standard, to reach a predetermined benchmark score.