State Record Book Competition
2015-2016 State Record Book Competition results will be released by the end of January 2017.
The State Record Book competition is focused on selecting senior 4-H members who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in their 4-H project work. Books are judged against standard criteria. Those books displaying the most outstanding 4-H work, goal management skills, and leadership and citizenship development are selected as state medalists and/or state winners.
For the 2016 State Competition, Record Books are due to the State 4-H Office by October 21, 2016. County deadlines are earlier--please check with your county 4-H office on State Competition submission deadlines.
The State Record Book Evaluation for the 2015-2016 program year will occur in October/November 2016 through the State 4-H Office.
The Purpose of the State 4-H Record Book Competition:
- Provides an incentive to members to keep accurate records in their 4-H Record Book.
- Members receive feedback and encouragement on their 4-H skill development, leadership and citizenship development, and record-keeping skills.
- Members are recognized for outstanding 4-H work.
Eligibility for State Competition
If the criteria for eligibility are not met, a member's book will be disqualified from the competition.
- Age Eligibility: Senior 4-H members (at least 14 years of age and no older than 19 years old by December 31 of the program year for which the book is being entered) are eligible to enter state competition.
- Use of Correct Forms: Members who are planning to submit their Record Book to state competition must download and use the most current forms, found on this website. One way to be sure to do this is to always download the latest version of the Record Book Manual and forms from the state website.
Intent to Submit: This form is a recent addition to the State 4-H Record Book Judging Process. Members who are planning to submit their Record Book to state competition must complete this form and submit it to their County Office by June 30, 2016.
- Quick Start Course: To be eligible for 2016 State Competition, members must complete the California 4-H Quick Start Record Book Course by June 30, 2016. The course must be completed each year. At the end of the course, follow the link to complete the quiz.
- State 4-H Cover Page - The State 4-H Judging Cover Page must be included with 4-H Record Books entered for State Evaluation. The Cover Page may not be altered. 4-H Record Books missing the Cover Page will be reason for disqualification.
- County Check Sheet - A county check sheet must be included with 4-H Record Books entered for State Evaluation. 4-H Staff from the County 4-H Cooperative Extension Office, must complete the checklist and ensure the completeness of the 4-H Record Book. 4-H Record Books missing the Check Sheet is reason for disqualification.
- Previous Years Materials - Materials from all previous years in 4-H must be removed and replaced with a 4-H Resume. More information is available in the 2015-2016 4-H Record Book Manual and on the 4-H Resume web page.
- Oct 3, 2016 -- Evaluator’s application deadline
- Oct 21, 2016 -- 4-H Record Books electronically submitted to State 4-H Office
- October 28 - November 14, 2016 -- State 4-H Record Book Competition
- January 13th, 2017 --Results will be released
County 4-H Office Responsibilities
- Ensure a County Check Sheet has been filled out and attached to every book.
- Ensure use of current forms.
- Do you have an Intent to Submit form? If not, you can send the book ahead and very thoroughly review the book for current use of forms and correct formatting.
- Check the eligibility of each applicant.
- Electronically upload all of the 4-H Record Books to a file share and share with the State Office by October 21, 2016.
These are the 2015-2016 Forms and Manual. Be sure to always use the MOST RECENT forms when submitting your book to State Evaluation.
- All 4-H members entering a record book at the state competition will receive constructive feedback.
- State participation and merit recognition members receive a certificate.
- State Winners and Medalists receive a certificate and hat pin.
State Record Book Competition Evaluators
- Access and comfort with reading materials on a computer or other electronic device.
- Work at a distance as a member of an evaluation team. Communicate effectively with two other volunteers assigned to each team.
- Evaluate approximately 20 4-H Record Books between October 28 and November 14, 2016.
- Provide written feedback on 4-H Record Books to the State Office on or before November 14, 2016.
- Parents/guardians and relatives of current applicants, and applicants themselves are not eligible to evaluate.
- Enrolled and in good standing as a 4-H Volunteer leader or a senior 4-H member in the 4-H YD Program. (Member may not have a book in the current competition).
- Able to communicate by phone, email and other electronic means.
- Ability to compromise with fellow evaluators.
- Openness and flexibility in evaluation procedures.
Selection of Evaluators
- Evaluators for the state competition are by invitation of the Coordinator of the event.
- Teams ideally will represent adults and youth from all four areas in the state.
- Evaluators must be enrolled and in good standing as 4-H Volunteer Leaders or senior members.
Applications for State Competition Evaluators can be found here.
California 4-H Record Book Competition Results
The file below contains the results of the 2017 Competition
Examples of Completed Record Books
The posted Record Books are a few of the 2015 4-H State Record Book Competition Winners. Each book was judged against the same standards and each has different strengths that merited a Winner Award. Winner status does not mean perfect--it means that the member presented a book that demonstrated enough strength, when tested against the standard, to reach a predetermined benchmark score.