State Record Book Competition
State Record Book Competition Dates: To Be Determined
In order to allow clubs and counties the flexibility to hold evaluations and competitions with virtual or distance-keeping protocols, the State Competition Date will be announced by mid-October.
All members planning to sumbit their book to State Competition must complete the Intent to Submit Form by September 27, 2020, 11:59 pm.
The State Record Book competition is focused on recognition for senior 4-H members who have demonstrated a well-rounded 4-H experience. Books are evaluated against standard criteria. Those books recording the most outstanding 4-H work, goal management skills, and leadership and civic development are selected as state medalists and/or state winners.
Due dates for the 2020 Record Book Competition are yet to be determined.
The State Record Book Evaluation for the 2019-2020 program year will likely occur after the beginning of 2021.
The Purpose of the State 4-H Record Book Competition:
- Provides an incentive to members to keep accurate records in their 4-H Record Book.
- Members receive feedback and encouragement on their 4-H skill development, leadership and citizenship development, and record-keeping skills.
- Members are recognized for outstanding 4-H work.
Eligibility for State Competition
If the criteria for eligibility are not met, a member's book will be disqualified from the competition.
- Age Eligibility: Senior 4-H members (at least 14 years of age and no older than 19 years old by December 31 of the program year for which the book is being entered) are eligible to enter state competition.
- Use of Correct Forms: Members who are planning to submit their Record Book to state competition must download and use the most current forms, found on this website. One way to be sure to do this is to always download the latest version of the Record Book Manual and forms from the state website.
Intent to Submit: This form is a recent addition to the State 4-H Record Book Judging Process. Members who are planning to submit their Record Book to state competition must complete this form by September 27, 2020, 11:59 pm.
- State 4-H Cover Page - The State 4-H Judging Cover Page must be included with 4-H Record Books entered for State Evaluation. The Cover Page may not be altered.
- County Check Sheet - A county check sheet must be included with 4-H Record Books entered for State Evaluation. 4-H Staff from the County 4-H Cooperative Extension Office, must complete the checklist and ensure the completeness of the 4-H Record Book.
- ?? -- 4-H Record Books electronically submitted to State 4-H Office
- ??-- Evaluator’s application deadline
- ?? -- State 4-H Record Book Competition
- ?? -- Results released, members notified
County 4-H Office Responsibilities
- Ensure a County Check Sheet has been filled out and attached to every book.
- Ensure use of current forms.
- Check the eligibility of each applicant.
- Did the member electronically complete an Intent to Submit form?
- Electronically upload all of the 4-H Record Books to a file share and share with the State Office by tbd.
These are the 2019-2020 Forms and Manual, which are the materials that will be evaluated in winter 2020/21. Be sure to always use the MOST RECENT forms when submitting your book to State Evaluation.
- All 4-H members entering a record book at the state competition will receive constructive feedback.
- State participation and merit recognition members receive a certificate.
- State winners and medalists receive a certificate and hat pin.
- Disqualifications do occur, and are typically a consequence of using the wrong years' forms, missing sections, and ineligible age. Books that are DQ will not be scored, however, comments for improvement may be provided.
State Record Book Competition Evaluators
- Access and comfort with reading materials on a computer or other electronic device.
- Work at a distance as a member of an evaluation team. Communicate effectively with two other volunteers assigned to each team.
- Evaluate approximately 20 4-H Record Books between ??
- Provide written feedback on 4-H Record Books to the State Office on or before ??
- Parents/guardians and relatives of current applicants, and applicants themselves are not eligible to evaluate.
- Enrolled and in good standing as a 4-H Adult Volunteer or a senior 4-H member who is at least 16 years old, in the 4-H Program. (Member may not have a book in the current competition).
- Able to communicate by phone, email and other electronic means.
- Ability to compromise with fellow evaluators.
- Openness and flexibility in evaluation procedures.
Selection of Evaluators
- Evaluators for the state competition are by invitation of the Coordinator of the event.
- Teams ideally will represent adults and youth from all four areas in the state.
- Evaluators must be enrolled and in good standing as 4-H Adult Volunteer or senior member.
Applications for State Competition Evaluators can be found here.
Examples of Completed Record Books
The posted Record Books are a few of the 2015 4-H State Record Book Competition Winners. Each book was judged against the same standards and each has different strengths that merited a Winner Award. Winner status does not mean perfect--it means that the member presented a book that demonstrated enough strength, when tested against the standard, to reach a predetermined benchmark score.