Leadership & Speaking
Anyone can be a leader, and 4-H aims to develop each member into a positive, competent leader. Leaders use their personal knowledge, skills, and influence to establish relationships with people and help others meet goals. Leaders become effective by modeling the skills and characteristics they seek to pass on to others. They acquire trust by being a person of good character, and they achieve power by empowering others. Leaders need to understand the importance of diversity and possess a variety of leadership styles along with the knowledge of how to apply each.
4-H leadership experiences help members:
- Achieve a broad understanding of the meaning of leadership and the qualities of a leader while practicing leadership skills
- Identify problems and develop action plans to solve them
- Acquire teamwork and group building skills
- Assume responsibility for actions and follow through on goals
- Improve written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Gain self-confidence and practice self-reflection
So how can you get involved with 4-H leadership?
- Be a youth mentor or tutor
- Join club, county, or state committees
- Organize, implement, and evaluate community service projects
- Be active in 4-H clubs as a junior or teen leader
- Serve as a camp counselor
- Lead your club as an officer
- Attend leadership conferences and trainings
- And many more!