4-H MyPlate Challenge
Location: In Front of Wellman and Hart Hall
Times: Submit Design: 8:00AM - 10:00AM; View Entries 12:00PM - 3:00PM
Coordinator: Anne Iaccopucci, firstname.lastname@example.org
In 2011 the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) unveiled the federal government’s new food icon, MyPlate, to serve as a reminder to help consumers make healthier food choices. We invite you to submit a photograph illustrating how you’re creating healthy meals using MyPlate as a guide. Here’s how to participate:
- Create a meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) that shows how you can build a healthy plate using the USDA’s MyPlate recommendations.
- Take a high-quality color photo of your plate.
- Write a maximum one-page description about your plate.
- Submit your photo and one-page description to 2801 Second Street Davis, CA 95618 by May 15, 2014.
The goal of the challenge is to encourage healthy eating habits and raise awareness around USDA’s MyPlate dietary guidelines. For more information, contact Anne Iaccopucci, email@example.com
Registration Deadline: Participants must register and submit their photo by May 15, 2014, No day of registration is allowed.
Registration Form: http://ucanr.edu/survey/survey.cfm?surveynumber=11937
- All regular 4-H members aged 9-19 are encouraged to participate.
- Participants do not have to be a member of a food-related project to participate.
- Participants do not have to pre-qualify at a county event to participate.
- Participant materials must be mailed to the 4-H State office (Attn: Anne M. Iaccopucci 2801 Second Street Davis, CA 95618) by May 15, 2014 prior to 10:00am.
- Participants may only submit one entry.
- Division I: Junior (age 9-11)
- Division II: Intermediate (age 12-14)
- Division III: Senior (ages 15-19)
Entries become the property of the University of California 4-H Youth Development Program upon submission and may be used for publicity and communication materials. Include the following information on back of each entry: 4-H member’s name, age, county, 4-H Club/Unit, and contact information (email, phone, address).
- Photographs must be 8” x 10” and mounted on 11” x 14” black matboard.
- Photographs must be taken by the 4-H member entering the contest.
- Write a maximum one-page description of your plate.
- Description must be written by the 4-H member entering the contest.
Not following these rules may disqualify the participant from the contest.
Each photograph will be judged against a set of criteria within each division. View below for details on judging criteria. Within each division, entries will be awarded gold (first place), blue (second place), red (third place), or green seals (participation). All gold winners will receive a 4-H Healthy Living lapel pin.
Food Photography Tips