Youth (ages 5-19)
4-H welcomes youth members and adult volunteers from all backgrounds and all locations. Members have the opportunity to participate in the 4-H program through afterschool programs, community clubs, camps, events, conferences, and military partnership programs.
All 4-H youth (ages 5-19) must enroll annually (July 1 through June 30). 4-H Enrollment is conducted by the 4-H Club and County 4-H Office in each county. Enrollment procedures may vary in each county, so check with your County 4-H Office for more information.
Youth are eligible to participate in 4-H if they meet the following criteria:
- Primary Members (also called Cloverbuds or Mini-members) - Must be 5 years old by December 31 of the program year. Primary members cannot enroll in large animal projects. Youth enrolling or turning nine after December 31 must participate as a Primary Member until the end of the program year.
- 4-H Members - Must be 9 years old by December 31 of the program year and may continue in the program until the end of the calendar year in which they become 19 years of age.
Steps to Take:
1. Find local clubs in your county by searching for your County 4-H Office.
Youth can also participate in 4-H camps, afterschool, school enrichment and short term and special interest programs as well as 4-H events and conferences. Contact your local 4-H county office for details on these opportunities.
2. Enroll in the CA 4-H Youth Development Program.
Need more information or help with enrollment? Contact your County 4-H Office or the adult 4-H volunteer club/camp leader of the local club you are interested in joining. If you have previously enrolled in 4-H using the 4hOnline system, please use the same login information. Forgot your password or email? Request it through 4hOnline or contact your County 4-H Office.
3. Find projects that interest you! See a complete list of CA 4-H projects and contact your 4-H club leader to find out what projects are offered in your club.
Science, Engineering, Technology (SET): agriculture and life sciences, family and consumer resource management, environmental education, technology, engineering.
Citizenship: civic awareness, community service, service-learning, leadership & speaking, global citizenship.
Healthy Living: nutrition, physical health, safety, mental health.
Paper Enrollment Packet
This enrollment packet is used for youth members in organized 4-H clubs, special interest and short-term programs, and 4-H Camps. Payment is required to enroll in 4-H for program fees and 4-H accident/sickness insurance. Inquire within your county 4-H office.
If you are using the Mozilla Firefox browser, please follow the steps here to adjust settings in Firefox to allow viewing of pdf files below, as several pdf documents contain fillable fields.