California 4-H Management Board
Each Director leads a Committee, as noted. Please click on the titles in bold for the description:
Structure of the Management Board and Committees
At least 50% of the Directors and Committee members should be youth. Youth aged 16 years and up by July 1 are encouraged to apply for all positions. The Treasurer and Resource Development Director positions are only open to adults.
The term of each adult volunteer is two years. The term of each youth member is one year. Directors may serve up to two terms consecutively. Directors need to apply for reappointment following each term.
In the case of vacancies, the Chair and/or Statewide 4-H Director may recruit members outside the open recruitment pool for candidates.
Management Board Selection Process
May 31 - Applications Due
July 1 - Term Begins
Management Committee Selection Process
May 31- Applications Due
June - The Management Board Director responsible for chairing the committee will review all committee applications, may conduct phone interviews, and will make selections to present to the Associate Director of 4-H Programs & Policy for review and approval. Please read the Selection Process (PDF) and the Committee descriptions for details on the requirements for applying to each committee.
July 1 - Term begins
Recruitment will continue until committees are full.
Apply for the State Management Board
The State Management Board is accepting applications for three open positions:
These positions are open to youth or adult volunteers. Youth serve a one-year term and adults serve a two-year term.
Applications are due May 31, 2017
Management Board Committee Recruitment
We are recruiting for all the Management Board Committees. Please see the committee descriptions for more information about each committee. Youth are strongly encouraged to apply!
Apply Online by May 31, 2017.
All business meetings are open to the public and posted on the 4-H Events Calendar.
The management board will meet at the UC ANR office at 2801 Second Street in Davis on the following dates in 2017:
You can attend in person or call in. See the call details at the meeting links above. If you attend in person, please note that lunch is not provided.
Building Something New
The creation of a California 4-H Management Board resulted from a two-year collaborative process that involved community partners and stakeholders from across the organization. The new Management Board structure replaces the Sectional and State 4-H Leaders’ Councils as of July 1, 2016. The new Management Board structure is intended to do several things:
- Create new volunteer opportunities with specific focus areas.
- Expand the role of youth at the state and regional levels.
- Open volunteer involvement through an application and selection process rather than by election.
- Set clear expectations - job descriptions and term length are publicly available.
- Empower committee leadership with a budget and the authority to fulfill their responsibilities. The Directors who lead committees are supported by 4-H staff.
- Increase awareness, visibility, outreach, and participation in the program.
- Improve the exchange of information, ideas, and access to tools.
- Allow the 4-H Advisory Committees and State Management Board Directors to connect through periodic Management Board meetings.