4-H Introduces NEW Uniform Guidelines
Effective July 1, 2015
Based on an extensive process that included a 4-H member design contest and voting input from 4-H members and adults, the California 4-H Youth Development Program has adopted new 4-H uniform guidelines. Implementation of these guidelines will begin July 1, 2015 and is expected to take several years for full adoption. See the California 4-H Uniform Guidelines and California 4-H Uniform FAQ for complete garment details and the transition plan to the new uniform guidelines.
The uniform is made up of the following garments:
- Official green 4-H hat branded with the University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) and the 4-H clover logo mark. These can be purchased through Leslie Carman 4-H Supplies as of August 31, 2015. (See below for contact information.) More details about the 4-H Hat.
- A plain white shirt with a collar. Any length of sleeve, including sleeveless is acceptable. Alternate Casual Uniform: For casual events, members may wear their club or county t-shirt, without the hat, provided that t-shirt has the proper use of the 4-H emblem according to the California 4-H Branding Toolkit.
- Members have a choice of bottoms, appropriate to the event or activity, as specified in the California 4-H Dress Guidelines.
- OPTIONAL: A traditional 4-H tie or scarf worn with the collared white shirt. The tie and scarf are both worn under the collar. Any member can wear either the scarf or the tie--whatever the member is most comfortable wearing. These can be purchased through Leslie Carman 4-H Supplies.
The 4-H uniform guidelines follow the protocols in the California 4-H Dress Guidelines that apply to all 4-H members.
A uniform is not required for participation in any 4-H sponsored activity, event, meeting or occasion. Although members are not required to wear a uniform in the 4-H program, many members feel a sense of belonging when wearing the uniform.
Fairs do not fall under the jurisdiction of the 4-H program and may require their own clothing for showing. Check with your local fair for specific details. The CDFA Fairs and Exposition Rule Book and the 4-H Youth Development Organization do not mandate a uniform or attire for judging.
Purchasing 4-H Attire
4-H hat, scarf and tie may be purchased from:
Leslie Carman 4-H Club Supplies
(888) 466-9433 or (805) 462-9433
This company is listed as a resource only and does not imply endorsement by the 4-H Youth Development Program.