State Fashion Revue History
2017 State Fashion Revue: "The Road to Fashion"
158 participants from 39 counties
Youth Chairs: Ashley Andes-McCullough & Araceli Carrillo Medrano
Entry categories: Traditional, Consumer Science Purchased $40 Limit, Upcycled, Stripe-Print-Plaid Challenge, Knit Challenge
Cancer Heart Pillows:
Quilts of Honor:
- Information & links to patterns: Quilts of Honor SFR 2017
2016 State Fashion Revue: "Hoe Down, Sew Down"
156 participants from 39 counties
Youth Chair: Courtney McCullough
Thank you to the participants, judges, room monitors, project leaders, donors and committee for a successful event!
Entry categories: Traditional, Consumer Science Purchased with $40 limit, Upcycled, Western Wear Challenge, and Muslin Challenge
2016 SFR Service Projects:
Reusable Bags. Reusable tote or grocery bags may be made from feed bags, leftover sturdy fabric, canvas, burlap or even old T-shirts. 4-H is promoting the use of unwanted materials to make sturdy, stylish and eco-friendly tote bags. Enjoy making them, donate them within your county and encourage everyone to keep some reusable bags on hand. SFR encourages members to research needs within their own communities for the donations. Ideas are local food banks (for food distribution), the library (for checking out children’s books especially in the winter), homeless shelters, and non-profit thrift stores who may give away or sell them. What about asking if you can set up a table at holiday time to give bags away as people enter the local grocery store with a display about eliminating single-use plastic bags? You could even use them to hold holiday gifts instead of wrapping paper. There are many online tutorials, just be sure to reinforce the seams by stitching twice or zig-zagging them.
Links to patterns for Reusable bags:
County & Regional Recycling Market Development Zones (RMDZ) - Zone Administrator Contacts
PORT PILLOWS for cancer patients who have a portacath for chemo infusions. Wearing a seat belt irritates the port, so these little pillows cushion that area and make driving more comfortable. Supplies for one pillow are a 12" X 6" piece of soft cotton fabric, a 4" piece of 1/2" velcro (both the hook part and the loop part) , fiberfill, thread and a sewing machine. The Port Pillows can be donated locally in your county to a cancer center or the American Cancer Society.
2015 State Fashion Revue: "Through the Looking Glass"
156 members entered from 38 counties
Youth Chair: Courtney McCullough (Nevada County)
Entry categories: Traditional, Consumer Science $40, Upcycled, Jacket Challenge, and Costume Challenge
Hats for the Hopeful (fleece hats) for youth and adult cancer patients, newborns, homeless drop-in shelters or to till a need in your community. They can be made of fleece, soft fabric or knitted/crocheted of soft yarn.
There were a total of 578 hats made and donated. Thank you to these counties! Contra Costa - 65, Del Norte - 1, Kings - 100, Madera - 9, Mendocino - 32, Monterey - 9, Orange - 58, Placer - 48, San Luis Obispo - 12, Santa Clara - 190, Siskiyou - 50, Tulare - 4.
"Fashion It Pillowcases" for foster children, Ronald McDonald type housing, Children’s Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Special Needs Camps, and other venues throughout California.
2014 State Fashion Revue "California Grown, California Sewn"
158 participants from 40 counties!
Youth Co-Chairs: Madison Gibson (Contra Costa County) and Courtney McCullough (Nevada County).
Entry categories: Traditional, Consumer Science Purchased $40, Upcycled, Denim Challenge, Apron Challenge
2014 Service Projects: Drawstring bags for foster children (299 sewn) and Wheelchair & Walker bags for seniors (77 sewn).
2013 State Fashion Revue "Timeless Fashions"
2013 SFR Categories: Traditional, Consumer Science Purchased $19.99, Wearable Art-Embellished, 2 Yard Wonder - Challenge, and Duct Tape Challenge.
2013 Service Projects: State Fashion Revue coordinated 3 service projects: small stuffed animal, drawstring bags, and "Little Dresses & Shorts for Africa."
- A Zoo of Hugs (flyer with links to instructions)
- Drawstring Bag Service Project (flyer) and 4-H Drawstring Bag pattern (instructions)
- Little Dresses & Shorts for Africa service project (flyer with links to instructions). A resource for sewing the Little Dresses is Leisure Arts - Quick & Easy Dresses to Sew
- We collected 94 dresses and 5 pairs of shorts, hand made by 4-H members throughout California. Thank you!
Handout about 2013 SFR: SFR Brochure 2013
2012 State Fashion Revue: Behind the Scenes
- 163 youth registered from 38 counties
- 1225 pillowcases donated for Million Pillowcase Project
- 83 Quilts donated for Quilts for Wounded Warriors
- Categories included Traditional, Consumer Science Purchased $100 limit, Wearable Art Embellished, Tote Bag Challenge, $19.99 CS Purchased Challenge
- Workshops & Activities included: Make it Take it crafts with the American Sewing Guild Sacramento chapter, fabric birds, Judging and ID classes, Modeling practice, Pattern Exchange
2011 State 4-H Fashion Revue: Fashion ¢ents
- 142 youth registered, representing 38 counties
- Workshops & activities included: County Corner displays, hand quilting, Make it - Take it Crafts, Judging classes, assembling quilts, Pattern Exchange, and modeling practice.
- 4-Hers from throughout California sewed 150 hospital gowns for Operation Cover Up plus 60 completed quilts were donated for Quilts for Wounded Warriors. We are so grateful for your support of our service projects.
SFR 2011 Results
View photographs here
SFR program 2011
Operation Cover Up 2011
SFR Pattern of Success: Karli Draxler
2011 "Fashion ¢ents"
New activities: Quilts for Wounded Warriors, Operation Cover Up
Challenge: $15 Challenge outfit
2010 "What’s in YOUR closet?"
New activities: Hats Off for Kindness and County Corner
2010 State 4-H Fashion Revue results
Click here for pictures
New activity: Dress Your Bear
New activity: Body Beautiful workshop