Special Recognition Focus Areas
Focus areas for Special Recognition are announced annually in October or November. Presenters may only choose one focus area for their presentation, and the area must be the primary topic of the presentation. Presenters can get Special Recognition pins for their chosen focus area.
2017 Focus Areas
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM): Flight Flight is the motion of an object through an atmosphere without direct support from any surface.
There are four principles of flight: lift, gravity, thrust, and drag. In order for an object to fly, there must be a balancing act between these four forces of flight. Potential topics may include new engineering ideas for flight, how altering the design of an object can increase its flight, and/or how flight has impacted our lives
Healthy Living: Sleep and Stress 4-H provides youth with opportunities that will increase the knowledge, skills and adoption of healthy living habits. This year’s focus area is sleep. Potential topics may include benefits of adequate sleep, tips for falling asleep, effects of sleeplessness, exercise and sleep, managing stress, driver fatigue, consequences of lost sleep, sleep and screen time.
Citizenship: Civic Engagement 4-H’s vision is that youth will make a positive difference by engaging in learning opportunities that give them a heightened sense of responsibility and capacity to connect as active members of their communities, nation and world. Potential topics may include how 4-H youth can become active partners in a larger community through Service Learning, Advocacy, and Activism. How youth use their voice to create change their communities.
Positive Youth Development: Mindset 4-H promotes positive outcomes that help youth to thrive by building skills that help them meet the challenges of childhood, teenhood and adulthood. Potential topics may include Sparks, Grow
- Regular 4-H members are eligible (age 9-19).
- All presentation categories are eligible except impromptu speech.
- Participants may only choose ONE focus area for their presentation, and the area must be the PRIMARY topic of the presentation.
- Members who receive a gold seal at a sectional event and compete at the State 4-H Presentation Day are eligible for special recognition.
- 4-H members must select a focus area when submitting the State 4-H Presentation Day registration to be eligible for special recognition.