State 4-H Interview Contest
The State 4-H Interview Contest is one of many activities that take place during California 4-H State Field Day . #CA4HStateFieldDay
Location: Wellman Hall
8:30am - 9:30am Participant Check-in
8:30am - 9:30am Evaluator's Orientation
9:30am - 2:00pm Same Day Registration
10:00am - 12:00pm Interview Contest
12:00pm - 1:00pm Lunch
1:00pm - 3:30pm Interview Contest
Description: The Interview Contest is a popular event that gives 4-H members an opportunity to practice the real-life skills needed to apply for a job. Participants prepare a resumé and cover letter for a job they choose from the 2018 Interview Contest Job Descriptions. Judges evaluate their performance during a mock interview and give constructive feedback using a standard evaluation rubric.
Registration closes May 14, 2018
Any Junior (9-10 years old), Intermediate (11-13 years old) or Senior (14-19 years old) 4-H member may participate in the 4-H Interview Contest.
Check-In to Confirm Participation
All registered participants must check in by 9:30 AM in Wellman Hall 107. Check-in secures your participation.
Please indicate "dual-entry" on registration forms for each event you are entering.
Interview Contest and Fashion Revue
Dual entry in Interview Contest and Interview Contest may be possible depending on interview time. Please try to schedule a time during the lunch break. Check in for dual-registered Fashion Revue members is at Olson Hall only.
Interview Contest and Presentation Day
Dual entry in Interview Contest and Presentation Day may be possible depending on interview time.
Interview Contest participants must do the following:
- Choose a job: Choose one of the three jobs listed in your age category. Make sure to review the full job descriptions. 2018 Job Descriptions
Jr. Park Ranger
After-School Program Assistant
- Develop a resumé: Include real-life experiences (education, work, activities, etc.) that demonstrate your qualifications for the job selected.
- Write a cover letter: Your cover letter should explain why you should be considered for the job selected.
- Dress appropriately: Appropriate dress includes 4-H uniform or attire appropriate for a job interview as outlined in the Interview Contest Manual.
Participants are encouraged to review the tips, interview questions, judging rubrics and supporting materials provided in the California State 4-H Interview Contest Manual.
Evaluators are vital to the function of the 4-H Interview Contest! Evaluators give candidates feedback on their performance using a standard evaluation rubric.
Who can be an Evaluator
Evaluators may be 4-H volunteer leaders, 4-H staff, 4-H members (16 years of age and older and not participating in other events during State Field Day), and people from other organizations with experience in interviewing.
- Evaluators should become familiar with the 4-H Interview Contest Manual and judging rubrics.
- Provide written positive and constructive feedback to help each candidate improve.
California 4-H Interview Contest Manual (PDF) - This manual is a complete guidebook containing rules, procedures and helpful hints for a successful interview. It also contains sample interview questions, sample job descriptions, judging rubrics and supporting materials for preparing for an interview.