State 4-H Interview Contest
The State 4-H Interview Contest is one of many activities that take place during California 4-H State Field Day on May 27, 2017. #Ca4HStateFieldDay
Location: Wellman Hall
8:30am - 9:30am Participant Check-in
8:30am - 9:30am Evaluator's Orientation
9:30am - 2:00pm Same Day Registration
10:00am - 12:00pm Interview Contest
12:00pm - 1:00pm Lunch
1:00pm - 3:30pm Interview Contest
Description: The Interview Contest is a popular event that gives 4-H members an opportunity to practice the real-life skills needed to apply for a job. Participants prepare a resumé and cover letter for a job they choose from the 2017 Interview Contest Job Descriptions. Judges evaluate their performance during a mock interview and give constructive feedback using a standard evaluation rubric.
For more information: Please contact Barbara Crane at BCrane@mtsac.edu
Any Junior (9-10 years old), Intermediate (11-13 years old) or Senior (14-19 years old) 4-H member may participate in the 4-H Interview Contest.
Interview Contest and Presentation Day - Dual entry in Interview Contest and Presentation Day may be possible depending on interview time.
Check-In to Confirm Participation
All registered participants must check in by 9:30 AM in Wellman Hall 107 and turn in their resumé and cover letter. Check-in secures your participation and allows the contest organizers to determine their ability to take same-day registrations.
4-H members must pre-register to participate. Register now at: https://ucanr.edu/survey/surveyadmin/summary.cfm. Deadline to register is 3:00 pm on May 12, 2017.
Interview Contest participants must do the following:
- Choose a job: Choose one of the three jobs listed in your age category. Make sure to review the full job descriptions. 2017 Job Descriptions
Lost and Found Assistant
- Develop a resumé: Include real-life experiences (education, work, activities, etc.) that demonstrate your qualifications for the job selected.
- Write a cover letter: Your cover letter should explain why you should be considered for the job selected.
- Dress appropriately: Appropriate dress includes 4-H uniform or attire appropriate for a job interview as outlined in the Interview Contest Manual.
Participants are encouraged to review the tips, interview questions, judging rubrics and supporting materials provided in the California State 4-H Interview Contest Manual.
Evaluators are vital to the function of the 4-H Interview Contest! Evaluators give candidates feedback on their performance using a standard evaluation rubric.
Who can be an Evaluator
Evaluators may be 4-H volunteer leaders, 4-H staff, 4-H members (16 years of age and older and not participating in other events during State Field Day), and people from other organizations with experience in interviewing.
- Evaluators should become familiar with the 4-H Interview Contest Manual and judging rubrics.
- Provide written positive and constructive feedback to help each candidate improve.
California 4-H Interview Contest Manual (PDF) - This manual is a complete guidebook containing rules, procedures and helpful hints for a successful interview. It also contains sample interview questions, sample job descriptions, judging rubrics and supporting materials for preparing for an interview.