State 4-H Promotional Advertising Contest
State Field Day
State 4-H Presentation Day is one of many events that take place during California 4-H State Field Day. #CA4HStateFieldDay
Help promote 4-H by designing a promotional advertisement that can be used on websites, social media (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) and also in print.
The Public Relations & Marketing Committee of the California 4-H Management Board will be holding an advertisement contest for the following types of advertisements:
- Digital Advertisement
- Print Advertisement - Computer-Aided Design or Hand-drawn/Painted
What is an Advertisement? Advertising is how a company encourages people to buy their products, services or ideas. An advertisement (or "ad" for short) is anything that draws good attention towards these three things.
Who Can Participate
Current 4-H Members.
- Division I: Junior (ages 9-10)
- Division II: Intermediate (ages 11-13)
- Division III: Senior (ages 14-19)
Advertisements may include but are not limited to the following 4-H themes:
- 4-H Grows Here
- 4-H Leaders
- My Experience in 4-H
- Why my friends should join 4-H
- What 4-H has done for me
- Highlight from my 4-H year
- What 4-H is doing in my local community
If you are able to submit your advertisement in English and Spanish please do so. All ads must include the 4-H clover. Please see the Branding Toolkit on proper use of the 4-H clover emblem. Note: we will add the UC ANR logo to the winning advertisements.
Attendees at State Field Day may vote on digital and print submissions from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm in Wellman Hall. See the evaluation criteria below.
Selected advertisements will be displayed on the 2018 State Field Day webpage and other materials. Selected ads may be displayed on the California 4-H state website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts. Certificates will be awarded on State Field Day.
Kate Lyn Sutherland
State Management Board Marketing and Public Relations Director
Advertisements that are designed and submitted completely digitally and are not printed.
Use: RGB color
Max size: 1920 x 1080 px at 72 ppi
Min size: 1024 x 768 px at 72 ppi (note that these images may have to be enlarged a bit for Instagram. See this link for the image sizes needed for various social media: https://makeawebsitehub.com/social-media-image-sizes-cheat-sheet/)
File format: PDF or PNG preferred. JPG/JPEG can be accepted, but note that image quality may suffer if it is resized larger.
Name your file with your first name, last name, and age (e.g., JohnSmith14)
Digital submissions will be accepted up until 2 weeks prior to State Field Day. All digital submissions must be submitted by May 19, 2018 at 11:59pm so they may be reviewed prior to State Field Day.
Advertisements that are hand-drawn or computer-aided and printed.
Recommended size: 8.5" x 11" Minimum size: 8" x 10"
For computer-aided designs:
Use CMYK color
Max size: 2550 x 3300 px at 300 ppi
File format: PDF (for submitting your file if chosen)
Submission of Printed Artwork
We will accept submissions of printed advertisements on State Field Day before 10:30am.
- Advertisements must be mounted on a photograph mount/mat board or foam board. Maximum mount/mat board size is 11” x 14”.
- Framed advertisements will NOT be accepted. A double mount board does not classify as framed.
- The following information is required on back of entry: 4-H member’s name, age, county, 4-H Club/Unit, and contact information (email, phone, and address).
- All advertisements MUST be picked up by 4:00 pm on State Field Day.
Competition entries that do not follow the competition or submission rules are subject to be marked down on their score or not accepted at all.
- You are free to be as creative as you would like, but please do not use licensed pictures, photographs, video/movie/theater clips without written permission.
- Your design must include the 4-H clover.
- Hand-drawn images using a computerized drawing pad are allowed.
- If you are doing digital advertisement, it may have moving parts.
- Limit one entry per person may be entered per category.
- Participants do not have to be a member of a photography or graphic design project in order to participate.
- Advertisements can be printed via a photo printer with a high dpi or at a professional printing service.
- Digital entries must follow the specifications outlined for submission.
- Print entries must follow the specifications outlined for submission.
Competition Entries will be judged by your peers in the following areas:
Advertisement’s Message: The advertisement’s message was extremely effective. It communicated the key points of the advertisement in a compelling and highly interesting manner. It always attracted the viewers’ attention.
Use of the 4-H Clover requirement: Was the 4-H clover prominently featured?
Creativity: The members’ advertisement delivers the message in a creative way.
Uniqueness: Use of originality.
Size Requirements: Digital entries: Image size. Print entries: Print and mat board size. Standard: Did the member follow the competition rules by using the correct size and format requirements?
Information on back: Required submission information. Standard: All the required information listed in the competition rules found on the submitted entry; clear and legible.
Mounting (for Print entries): Advertisement print is placed on a mount/mat board for display. Mount/mat board color should be selected based on the image. Does not distract viewer from advertisement. Mount board should be clean and have smooth cut edges. Suggested method for mounting: Spray Adhesive Technique. Standard: Advertisement is mounted straight and proper. Advertisement must stay mounted on its board and not fall while on display.