National 4-H Conference
Develop Recommendations for the 4-H Youth Development Program Nationally
The National 4-H Conference is the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture's premier youth development opportunity to engage youth in developing recommendations for the 4-H Youth Development Program.
This event brings together youth, volunteer leaders, and state and county extension staff members from across the United States, the U.S. territories, and the Canadian provinces.
A working conference
Youth and adults develop recommendations to help guide 4-H Youth Development Programs nationally and in their communities.
Sponsored by the National 4-H Headquarters
As the sponsor for this conference, the National 4-H Headquarters is charged with sharing the recommendations that emerge from the conference with the Secretary of Agriculture, national extension program leaders, and others who determine 4-H programs. At the same time, the National 4-H Headquarters ensures that the conference is a meaningful experience for youth and adult participants.
National 4-H Conference experience
Providing the Youth Perspective on Physical Activity Messaging
Every spring, 4-H clubs send delegates to the National 4-H Conference to put their skills into practice by addressing a challenge posed by a federal agency. The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP) challenged a group of 4-H members to identify different adolescent ‘activity styles,’ or personas, and to provide the youth perspective for how to communicate the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans to adolescents. Read more on the health.gov News Blog
Watch the videos below to learn more about different aspects of the National 4-H Conference
My favorite part of the conference
Meeting with legislators
National 4-H Conference 2019
April 6-11, 2019
National 4-H Conference Center, Chevy Chase, MD
Apply to be a California 4-H Delegate
The aim of the selection committee is to select a team that encompasses the diversity of California and California 4-H.
Expectations for Delegates
Prior to Conference
- Attend the team meetings via webinar and in person
- Gather facts, opinions, and data from the 4-H Youth Development Program at the local, county, area, and state levels.
- Interview your county’s 4-H Advisor and submits a recap to the California 4-H Office about the variety of services and programs offered by the 4-H Program in your local county and throughout California.
- As a team, develop a consistent message from California 4-H to deliver at the conference.
- Be an active participant while attending the National 4-H Conference.
- Be flexible, adaptable, and able to get along well with many types of personalities
- Attend the team post-conference meeting.
- Complete a team report about the conference.
- Write a thank you note to the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Foundation.
- Complete the “Take it Home Project”
- Eligibility requirements
- Application requirements
- Delegate expectations
- Timeline of pre-conference orientation, meetings, and deadlines
Sponsorship of California 4-H's delegation
Thanks to a generous sponsorship from the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Foundation through the California 4-H Foundation, the following costs are covered for the California 4-H delegation:
- Roundtrip travel to pre-conference orientation and meetings
- Roundtrip travel to the National 4-H Conference
- National 4-H Conference registration fees
- Two additonal days in Washington D.C post conference.
Purpose of California’s Delegation to the National 4-H Conference
- Provide opportunities for California youth and adults to participate in and contribute to 4-H on the national level.
- Assist California 4-H Youth Development in strengthening youth-adult partnerships and involving youth, volunteers, and staff in 4-H decision-making.
- Provide a system for an exchange of 4-H Youth Development programming ideas among states.
- Visit Congress and make legislators aware of the tremendous impact of the 4-H program.
The 2019 National 4-H Conference application will be due in early November 5, 2018 11:59pm. Late Applications will not be reviewed.
Applications must include:
- Online application
- 4-H Resume - Include as an attachment on your online application. For more information on how to build a 4-H Resume, visit the 4-H Resumes page under Resources for Youth Members.
- References- 2 references are required. The people serving as your reference will have to complete the online survey before the deadline od November 5, 2018
- Required reports on Congressman and CA US Senator
- Have not represented California 4-H Youth Development at the National 4-H Conference before;
- Will be at least 16 years of age on December 31, 2018.
Staff Coordinator: Jenna Colburn, email@example.com