National 4-H Conference
Premier Youth Development Opportunity
The National 4-H Conference is the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture's premier youth development opportunity to engage youth in developing recommendations for the 4-H Youth Development Program.
This event brings together youth, volunteer leaders, and state and county extension staff members from across the United States, the U.S. territories, and the Canadian provinces.
A working conference
Youth and adults develop recommendations to help guide 4-H Youth Development Programs nationally and in their communities.
Sponsored by the National 4-H Headquarters
As the sponsor for this conference, the National 4-H Headquarters is charged with sharing the recommendations that emerge from the conference with the Secretary of Agriculture, national extension program leaders, and others who determine 4-H programs. At the same time, the National 4-H Headquarters ensures that the conference is a meaningful experience for youth and adult participants.
National 4-H Conference 2018
April 7-14, 2018
National 4-H Conference Center, Chevy Chase, MD
Apply to be a California 4-H Delegate
2018 National 4-H Conference Information
Information for California 4-H delegates to the 2018 National 4-H Conference (PDF). Print out all the information on this page, including:
- Eligibility requirements
- Application requirements
- Delegate expectations
- Timeline of pre-conference orientation, meetings, and deadlines
Sponsorship of California 4-H's delegation
Thanks to a generous sponsorship from the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Foundation through the California 4-H Foundation, the following costs are covered for the California 4-H delegation:
- Roundtrip travel to pre-conference orientation and meetings
- Roundtrip travel to the National 4-H Conference
- National 4-H Conference registration fees
Purpose of California’s Delegation to the National 4-H Conference
- Provide opportunities for California youth and adults to participate in and contribute to 4-H on the national level.
- Assist California 4-H Youth Development in strengthening youth-adult partnerships and involving youth, volunteers, and staff in 4-H decision-making.
- Provide a system for an exchange of 4-H Youth Development programming ideas among states.
- Visit Congress and make legislators aware of the tremendous impact of the 4-H program.
The 2018 National 4-H Conference application is due by November 5, 2017 at 11:59pm. Late applications will not be reviewed.
Applications must include:
- Online application
- 4-H Resume - Include as an attachment on your online application. For more information on how to build a 4-H Resume, visit the 4-H Resumes page under Resources for Youth Members.
- Reference Survey - Please send this survey to the person serving as your reference and have them complete it before November 5, 2017.
- Have not represented California 4-H Youth Development at the National 4-H Conference before;
- Will be at least 16 years of age on December 31, 2017.
Staff Coordinator: Jenna Colburn, firstname.lastname@example.org
The National 4-H Conference experience
Leadership and More
National 4-H Conference Briefing: Providing the Youth Perspective on Physical Activity Messaging
Every spring, 4-H clubs send delegates to the National 4-H Conference to put their skills into practice by addressing a challenge posed by a federal agency. The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP) challenged a group of 4-H members to identify different adolescent ‘activity styles,’ or personas, and to provide the youth perspective for how to communicate the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans to adolescents. Read more on the health.gov News Blog