4-H Chaperone Information for State 4-H Overnight Events
The overnight trips through 4-H provide valuable life and educational experiences for 4-H members. While primarily educational, the trips are fun and filled with many memory-making opportunities.
Adult volunteers are key to making this a safe and memorable activity. Having dedicated adult chaperones who commit themselves to the safety and well-being of the youth participants during the entire trip (24 hours a day!) is a HUGE commitment. Thank you for considering serving in this capacity.
- Are part of the California 4-H delegation.
- Experience all of the special sites and activities with the youth.
- Practice positive youth-adult partnerships with the youth as they chaperone them through the activities.
To apply as a chaperone for an overnight State 4-H event, please complete all of following by the submission deadline date for the event. Only candidates who complete all of the following by the deadline date will be considered.
- Read the event-specific Volunteer Role Description:
- Fill out and submit the Chaperone Application for State Sponsored Events
Please complete this thoroughly to give us the best idea of your qualifications and interest in the event.
- Complete the Foundations of Positive Youth Development course in your eXtension account. This course is included in the New Volunteer and 2017-2018 Returning Volunteer Training package on eXtension. Please contact your county office for instructions on how to enroll in the eXtension courses.
- Download, read, and sign the chaperone agreement for your event:
- Citizenship Washington Focus & Leadership Washington Focus Trips: Scott Mautte at email@example.com OR mail to California 4-H attn: Scott Mautte, 2801 2nd Street, Davis CA 95618.
- SLC & CA Focus Jenna Colburn at firstname.lastname@example.org OR mail to California 4-H attn: Jenna Colburn, 2801 2nd Street, Davis, CA 95618.
- Mindfulness Retreat : Anne Iaccopucci at email@example.com OR mail to California 4-H attn: Anne Iaccopucci 2801 Second Street, Davis CA 95618
(Timelines for each event are available at your county offices)
- Selection team reviews applications for each trip or conference
- Selection team seeks input from county offices.
- Selection team holds phone interviews (optional at the discretion of the event coordinator)
- Selected chaperones are notified.
- Chaperone registration begins after notification. Please do not register before notification.
Citizenship Washington Focus & Leadership Washington Focus trips: Contact Scott Mautte firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Focus and State Leadership Conference : Contact Jenna Colburn at email@example.com
Mindfulness Retreat: Contact Anne Iaccopucci at firstname.lastname@example.org
On occasion, 4-H youth members who are differently-abled, either physically or developmentally, may need to be chaperoned in a one-on-one environment.
An Adult Chaperone for a child who meets the criteria of necessary accommodations should choose the "chaperone one-on-one" option on the registration form. Please note: Adult Chaperones in this capacity will not have reduced registration fees. Scholarship money may be available for only the youth member.