4-H Chaperone Information for State 4-H Overnight Events
The overnight trips through 4-H provide valuable life and educational experiences for 4-H members. While primarily educational, the trips are fun and filled with many memory-making opportunities.
Adult volunteers are key to making this a safe and memorable activity. Having dedicated adult chaperones who commit themselves to the safety and well-being of the youth participants during the entire trip (24 hours a day!) is a HUGE commitment. Thank you for considering serving in this capacity.
- Are part of the California 4-H delegation.
- Experience all of the special sites and activities with the youth.
- Practice positive youth-adult partnerships with the youth as they chaperone them through the activities.
To apply as a chaperone for an overnight State 4-H event, please complete all of following by the submission deadline date for the event. Only candidates who complete all of the following by the deadline date will be considered.
1. Read the event-specific Volunteer Role Description:
- State Leadership Conference
- Leadership Washington Focus
- Citizenship Washington Focus
- Mindfulness Retreat
2. Fill out and submit the Chaperone Application for State Sponsored Events. Please complete this thoroughly to give us the best idea of your qualifications and interest in the event.
3. Once selected, chaperones will need to complete the following online courses in their eXtension portal:
- Foundations of Positive Youth Development (available January, 2019)
- Overnight Chaperone Orientation (available January, 2019)
(Timelines for each event are available at your county offices or on the events specific webpage)
- Selection team reviews applications for each trip or conference
- Selection team seeks input from county offices.
- Selection team holds phone interviews (optional at the discretion of the event coordinator)
- Selected chaperones are notified.
- Chaperone registration begins after notification. Please do not register before notification.
Citizenship Washington Focus & Leadership Washington Focus trips: Contact Scott Mautte firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Focus and State Leadership Conference : Contact Jenna Colburn at email@example.com
Mindfulness Retreat: Contact Anne Iaccopucci at firstname.lastname@example.org
On occasion, 4-H youth members who are differently-abled, either physically or developmentally, may need to be chaperoned in a one-on-one environment.
An Adult Chaperone for a child who meets the criteria of necessary accommodations should choose the "chaperone one-on-one" option on the registration form. Please note: Adult Chaperones in this capacity will not have reduced registration fees. Scholarship money may be available for only the youth member.