4-H Chaperone Information for State 4-H Overnight Events
The overnight trips through 4-H provide valuable life and educational experiences for 4-H members. While primarily educational, the trips are fun and filled with many memory-making opportunities.
Adult volunteers are key to making this a safe and memorable activity. Having dedicated adult chaperones who commit themselves to the safety and well-being of the youth participants during the entire trip (24 hours a day!) is a HUGE commitment. Thank you for considering serving in this capacity.
- Are part of the California 4-H delegation.
- Experience all of the special sites and activities with the youth.
- Practice positive youth-adult partnerships with the youth as they chaperone them through the activities.
To apply as a chaperone for an overnight State 4-H event, please complete all of following by the submission deadline date for the event. Only candidates who complete all of the following by the deadline date will be considered.
- Read the event-specific Volunteer Role Description:
- Fill out and submit the Volunteer Application for State Sponsored Events
Please complete this thoroughly to give us the best idea of your qualifications and interest in the event.
- Complete the Foundations of Positive Youth Development Online Course (Flash, 45 minutes. Note: you may need an app to run this webinar if you are viewing it on an iPad or iPhone). If you have already completed this course, you do not need to take it again.
- Download, read, and sign the chaperone agreement for your event:
- Leadership Washington Focus chaperone agreement
- Citizenship Washington Focus chaperone agreement
- California Focus chaperone agreement
- Citizenship Washington Focus Presidential Inauguration 2017 chaperone agreement
- Citizenship Washington Focus & Leadership Washington Focus Trips: Scott Mautte at email@example.com OR mail to California 4-H attn: Scott Mautte, 2801 2nd Street, Davis CA 95618.
- All other events: Jenna Colburn at firstname.lastname@example.org OR mail to California 4-H attn: Jenna Colburn, 2801 2nd Street, Davis, CA 95618.
(Timelines for each event are available at your county offices)
- Selection team reviews applications for each trip or conference
- Selection team seeks input from county offices.
- Selection team holds phone interviews.
- Selected chaperones are notified.
- Chaperone registration begins after notification. Please do not register before notification.
Citizenship Washington Focus & Leadership Washington Focus trips: Contact Scott Mautte email@example.com.
California Focus and State Leadership Conference: Contact Jenna Colburn at firstname.lastname@example.org
On occasion, 4-H youth members who are differently-abled, either physically or developmentally, may need to be chaperoned in a one-on-one environment.
An Adult Chaperone for a child who meets the criteria of necessary accommodations should choose the "chaperone one-on-one" option on the registration form. Please note: Adult Chaperones in this capacity will not have reduced registration fees. Scholarship money may be available for only the youth member.