held on even years
Next Cal Focus is in June 2020
Experience California’s government in action by participating in the legislative, political, and judicial processes. California Focus combines hands-on participation in workshops, debates, simulations, tours, and fun activities.
Who can attend
Youth ages 14 - 19. Youth must be at least 14 years old by the time of California Focus. If you are not a current 4-H member, please contact Jenna Colburn.
Adults can apply to chaperone.
Set in Sacramento, California's capital, participants will tour the State Capitol building, Governor's Office, and 3rd District Court of Appeals. Workshops and lodging will be at the Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown-Arena, 300 J Street, Sacramento, CA.
What you will learn and participate in
- The election process: Register to vote, conduct a primary election, and develop a political campaign through a two party system.
- Analyze the needs and issues of your district and enact legislation for the "governor" to sign into law.
- Create a plan of action (service learning project) for your community.
- Meet California law makers.
- Tour the State Capitol, Governor's office and 3rd District Court of Appeals.
- Participate in fun activities, tours and cultural events.
- Make new friends.
California Focus can be the beginning of a life of public participation that leaves you with a strong determination to become involved in your community.
For more information
Jenna Colburn at email@example.com
Information for Cal Focus delegates
Service Learning Project
Each delegate is expected to plan and implement a pre-approved service learning project after the California Focus conference. You can utilize the new skills you have learned at the conference to implement your Plan of Action in your local community. You must complete your project by May 31st of the year you participate in California Focus.
We highly recommend that you download and reference the Service Learning Planning Guide to aid in your planning process. Other resources:
- Service Learning Planning Guide (PDF)
- Service Learning Coaches Manual (PDF) - for adult coaches to assist youth with their service learning planning and implementation
Get your project pre-approved
Once you've identified your issue and begun your planning, complete your pre-approval application and submit it. Your service learning project must be approved before you can start implemention in order to verify that it meets service learning standards.
Reflect on your completed project
Upon completion of your service learning project, you must write a 4-H Delivers story. Your 4-H Delivers story must be submitted in order to receive your Certificate of Completion and achievement pins.