A Unique Citizenship Educational Experience!
June 16-20, 2017
Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza- Sacramento
Experience California’s government in action by participating in the legislative, political, and judicial processes. California Focus combines hands-on participation in workshops, debates, simulations, tours, and fun activities.
Have you attended Cal Focus in the Past? Fill out a 4-H Delivers Story for your completed service learning project.
Important info for Cal Focus 2017
View the 2017 Debate Topic
Watch the Cal Focus Orientation Recording
View the Pre-Conference Handbook
View the Tentative Schedule
Check out this Students and First Time Voters Guide from the Community for Accredited Online Schools to learn more about voting before conference.
As a county prepare a short county presentation:
2-5 minutes on what makes your county special! If your county presentation is digital please send it to email@example.com by Wednesday, June 14th.
Make your Legislative appointment for Monday, June 19 between 10:00 am-1:30 pm
Who can attend
Youth ages 14 - 19. Youth must be at least 14 years old by the time of California Focus. If you are not a current 4-H member, please contact Jenna Colburn.
Adults can apply to chaperone by April 3, 2017.
Set in Sacramento, California's capital, participants will tour the State Capitol building, Governor's Office, and 3rd District Court of Appeals. Workshops and lodging will be at the Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza, 300 J Street, Sacramento, CA.
What you will learn and participate in
- The election process: Register to vote, conduct a primary election, and develop a political campaign through a two party system.
- Analyze the needs and issues of your district and enact legislation for the "governor" to sign into law.
- Create a plan of action for your community
- Meet California law makers
- Tour the State Capitol, Governor's office and 3rd District Court of Appeals
- Participate in fun activities, tours and cultural events
- Make new friends
California Focus can be the beginning of a life of public participation that leaves you with a strong determination to become involved in your community.